Ronald McDonald Care Mobile
From focusing on the treatment of pediatric cancer in Poland to ophthalmology in Thailand and immunizations in New Orleans, 49 Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles are providing access to health care where children need it most.
Did you know?
- In Poland, the diagnosis of cancer in children at advanced stages is nearly 20 percent, whereas in Western Europe only 6 to 7 percent of the cases diagnosed are in advanced stages.
- More than 51 million hours of schooling are lost annually due to the lack of dental care among American children.
- Tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease today in the United States, five times more common than asthma.
- Each year, nearly 10 million children die worldwide, mostly from preventable and treatable causes.
- Almost 10% of all children in Latvia have untreated eyesight problems that are significant enough to make everyday activities, such as reading and studying, a challenge.
These numbers don't have to be this high. In fact, we don't want them to exist at all, which is why we operate Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles in vulnerable communities across the U.S. and around the globe. By providing cost-effective, high-quality medical, dental and health education services, these vehicles literally open the door to health care for thousands of children.
Services for Families
All Ronald McDonald Care Mobile services are provided in a 40-foot long, 8-foot wide, state-of-the-art vehicle built specifically for delivering pediatric health care services. Each vehicle, which ultimately costs around $500,000 to get on the road, includes two patient examination rooms, a laboratory, and reception and medical records areas.
Depending on community needs, Ronald McDonald Care Mobile services may include:
- Primary care, well-child visits and developmental screening
- Diagnostic, preventive and restorative dental care
- Oral hygiene education
- Asthma treatment and self-management education
- Pulmonary function testing
- Vision, hearing and lead screening
- School and sports physicals
- Prenatal care for pregnant teens
- Childhood health promotion and injury prevention education
- Nutrition counseling
- Pediatric specialty care, such as oncology, cardiology and otolaryngology
- Mental health assessment and referral
- Blood collection
- Social service resource referral
- Health education
- Care for special needs children
What makes the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile program unique
When it comes to delivering health care, our RMCMs take a holistic approach.
- Prevention: We deliver health education, which reduces overall medical costs, addresses behavior and lifestyle choices and helps motivate families to improve and maintain their health.
- Treatment: We provide services ranging from immunizations and preventive check-ups to dental care and treatment for chronic and acute illnesses.
- Referral: Our staff works with families to help them get access to ongoing care with a primary doctor or dentist.
Building upon unique expertise and strong relationships
RMHC Chapters and local clinical service providers work together to apply their administrative, clinical and operational expertise and community resources to identify gaps in care, then deliver services tailored to the needs of their community.
Together, they deliver services that go beyond treatment; they reduce reliance on emergency rooms, heighten awareness of healthy lifestyles, help eligible families obtain government-assisted health insurance and more.